2.24.2016

Undaunted Hope by Jody Hedlund ~ Review

Undaunted Hope (Beacons of Hope #3)My Review: 

Tessa Taylor is looking forward to leaving her past indiscretions behind her and starting afresh as a teacher in a small mining town. But things are not as simple as she was led to believe, the town is run by Percival Updegraff, the clerk of the mine owner, and he runs the town with an iron fist, nothing happens without his knowing or say so.

Alex and Michael Bjorklund are the only exception to Percival's ever increasing rules, as lighthouse keepers they are not employed by the mine. Ever since the death of Michael's wife, the brothers have worked together to raise Michael's two children, Gunnar and Ingrid.

But when Alex and Michael both decide to pursue Tessa, and Percival makes his thoughts and power known, will Tessa's new found friends stand by her when all is at stake?

A riveting journey, engaging, with memorable characters that captured my heart. I loved Tessa's determination and drive to teach, sharing her love of learning with her students of all ages. She knows she made a mistake a long time ago, and is doing her best to show that she has matured and grown from that.

Alex and Michael are brothers, different in demeanor, but similar in what and who they love. Where Alex is spirited, Michael is more reserved, though they may quarrel at times they care for Gunnar and Ingrid and love them unconditionally. I loved both brothers, and their hearts for their family and for justice.

One of the things that stood out most to me, was the wonderful job that Ms. Hedlund did creating the perfect feel for the community. Though the many characters, of the miners, the Updegraff brothers, the wives of the miners, and the children, the story was excellently told, and I got the feel for the Michigan mining town, and felt every thrum of tension.

Overall, a fantastic read, that drew me in from the very first. Thought part of a series this book works well as a stand alone, though I would definitely recommend reading all of the amazing previous books in the series. I was impressed with how much Tessa had grown and matured since I last read of her, I wasn't sure how much I'd like her, but Ms. Hedlund made me love her! A pleasure to read all the way through, I was nervous about writing this review because I loved it so much and didn't want to not say enough, or say too much. Fantastic read, engaging characters and plot with a sense of urgency, would highly recommend to fans of historical fiction!




Much thanks to Jody Hedlund, who graciously gave me a copy of this book to read so I could share this review with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!